Military Readiness

Defense health research programs are relevant to national security, military readiness, and military families.

Read the 2016 military relevance document here.

View the 2017 military relevance document here: here.

Letters to Congress


July 27, 2017: to support the bipartisan Durbin-Blunt amendment to nullify several provisions related to medical research included in S. 1519, the fiscal year 2018 National Defense Authorization Act. As reported by the Senate Armed Services Committee, S. 1519 would have the effect of severely restricting, and in some cases terminating, critical medical research programs funded by the Department of Defense (DoD). Read the full letter here.

June 8, 2017: letter to House and Senate Defense Appropriations leadership urging continued support for the critical and highly successful defense health research programs funded through the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the Department of Defense (DoD). Read the House letter here, and the senate letter here.

February 8, 2017: letter to Senate and House leadership urging passage of the fiscal 2017 Defense Appropriations Act. Read the full letter here.

How to Advocate Outside of Washington D.C.

There are currently many issues before Congress and the Administration that impact you, and it is important that your thoughts are shared with those who have been elected to represent you in the House and the Senate. To contact your Member of Congress, follow the steps below. Calling your representative's office is the most effective way to get your point across, second only to writing a letter and sending it it to the office along with a heartfelt photograph that exemplifies your argument.

  • First, go to in your web browser.
  • Click on the “Contact your Member” button, which is located on the right side of the home page.
  • From there, you can choose “House” or “Senate” depending on who you want to contact.
  • You can then click on your representative’s name, which will take you to their website, which contains their phone number and a constituent contact form. If you are uncertain about which member of the House is your representative, you may enter your zip code in the upper right corner of the page.